Mold Tips: Do's and Don'ts
The four letter word that all homeowners, tenants, property managers, real estate agents and insurance professionals hate to hear! Mold can be a rather difficult at times, and can have negative health effects on children, elderly, people with weakened immune systems, and those with severe allergies. If not handled properly, it can become airborne and spread everywhere! So what are some of the best practices while trying to remove mold?
1. Call a professional! All of our SERVPRO technicians are highly trained in dealing with mold and have years of experience!
2. Try to contain the mold- Keep the mold from spreading to other rooms by keeping the door closed to that room. You can also use painters tape to seal the room at the doorway. You may not know when you are spreading it around, so it is best to leave it alone, until a professional can examine it.
3. Wear proper protective equipment when dealing with mold- When dealing with mold, you should always wear equipment to protect yourself. You may not be able to see mold spores attach themselves to your clothing!
4. Try to discover the source of water. Mold (just like any other living organism) needs food, air, and water. The only thing we can really control is the moisture in the environment. So where is the moisture coming from?
1. DONT IGNORE IT! Mold will not go away on its own, it will burrow into a porous material and live for a very long time. SERVPRO professionals use specialized HEPA vacuums and a special antimicrobial agent to remove and kill mold, and mold spores.
2. Don't use Bleach! Bleach is not a good way to kill mold. It is a temporary fix, but will not solve the underlying problem.
3. Put any sort of air movement on the area of concern. This can actually spread the mold to other areas, and can contaminate areas that were not previously affected.
4. Don't stress about it! We have seen it all, and can help you with any mold problem you may be experiencing! Give us a call anytime at (847)498-8889.