Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When fire damage strikes, there is a right way to do things, and a wrong way to do things. Here at SERVPRO of Northbrook/Wheeling/Glencoe, we want to make sure that everyone in our community knows what to do when disaster strikes. In this article, we give you some tips and tricks that could be crucial if you ever experience fire damage. Know that we are always here to help, and answer questions during a difficult, and stressful time. Our trained professionals are standing by to help you in any capacity. With over 25 years of experience, there isn't much that we haven't encountered!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (847) 498-8889
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.