Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When water damage strikes, there is a right way to do things, and a wrong way to do things. Here at SERVPRO of Northbrook/Wheeling/Glencoe, we want to make sure that everyone in our community knows what to do when disaster strikes. In this article, we give you some tips and tricks that could be crucial if you ever experience water damage. Know that we are always here to help, and answer questions during a difficult, and stressful time. Our trained professionals are standing by to help you in any capacity. With over 25 years of experience, there is almost nothing we haven't seen before!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (847) 498-8889
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.